Sunday, August 24, 2008

Kuwait Towers, Grand Mosque, Dhow

The day at work on the 19th consisted of sightseeing. We were to go to the Kuwait towers, the Grand Mosque and the Dhow.

The Kuwait towers have been symbols of Kuwait for many years and they were directly attacked by the Iraqis during the invasion. It gives you a great view of the coastline of the city and is quite beautiful. It actually rotates. The trip to the towers really gave us a chance to visit with some of the other teachers as well as enjoy the sights of Kuwait City.

The Grand Mosque was a great experience. It is a beautifully huge mosque that holds over 20,000 people. During Ramadan people will line the streets and pray in the streets by the mosque. We saw pictures and will be a truly amazing sight to see. Women must wear a full hijab in order to enter the mosque so I got to dress up for the first time. If felt really cool... like I fit in a bit better for the first time.

Later on we went to visit the Dhow. A Dhow is a type of handmade wooden boat that the Bedouins used to use for pearl diving. However, the Dhow on display in Kuwait is the largest in the world and holds the record in the Guinness book of world records for the largest handmade wooden boat ever created. It is so large that is contains a ballroom and 3 different levels. It’s beautiful as well as huge with fine linens and gold throughout it.


Kuwait "water" Towers

        East view

South View 

         South View

North view looking down at the waterpark

Inside the Grand Mosque in Kuwait





    Compulsory full coverage for women



        The stern of the famous Dhow in Kuwait

   Inside the Dhow

      Waiting room before entering

            Top Deck

Stairs going to the top deck

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Kelly - Oh My God. It's been years! I hope you are well. Aaron and I got married last year. Things have been okay. I am a PhD student now and I am doing my research in Tanzania. You look great! I hope you are well. Last I heard you were in Churchill.

Drop me a line if you get a chance.
Lauren