Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Africa Continued...


Well there are a few things I left out in the previous blog.  One is my wakeboarding/waterskiing adventure.  Andrew and I decided to take a day and go check out Blue Rock.  It is a small freshwater lake that has cable waterskiing.  It was about a 45 min drive out of Cape Town and about a $50 taxi ride one way.  We figured it would be WAY more fun to rent a car and head out ourselves.  We walked to a convertible car rental place just down the road and inquired about a car for about 6hrs.  Nope they only rented by the day but, even at that, it was still only $80 so we did it.  Of course we figured it would be hilarious to be driving on the left side of the road but we took the challenge.  The man hooked us up with an old blue MG and we were on our way.  A few wrong turns and we eventually made it.  We were the only people there which made it that much better.  After renting our wakeboards, and one waterski, we heading down to the cable to get a lesson on how to do this thing.  Well it works pretty slick.  You just sit on a bench over the water as the guy hands you the rope (wooden handle) once the cableway catches onto your rope you have about 2 sec to hold tight and then your gone.  Well at least that was what it looked like. We very quickly realized that it was not like a boat where you have a gradual increase in speed, haha no way! This cableway continuously goes around the lake at 30km/h and DOES NOT lag when you hook on!!  So imagine sitting on a bench with skis on (or in my case only one ski which is worse) and then going from zero to 30km/h instantly!  Yes it did take us 1 or 2 attempts to know the feeling and I am sure my arms a little longer now.  It was incredible!  You will see in the picture what I mean.  We spent about 3 hrs there and then headed back to Cape Town to meet up with the girls at the beach.

Now for the biker boys...
In the middle of all this we ran across the Harley-Davidson dealership in Cape Town.  What a beautiful shop with bikes spread all down the front sidewalk.  After explaining to one salesman my harley background he agreed to let me fire up a 09 Fat Bob to hear the custom pipes they had installed on it.  Needless to say, when the time comes, (that I have many many grey hairs or no hair at all), the Harley of my choice is undoubtedly the "Fat Bob".  It is an excellent cross between the Night Train and Fat Boy (my two favorites) also sporting Harley's new dual headlamps....Beautiful!! The salesman also showed us around the dealership at all the new 09's in stock.  For $100 you could rent a 09 bike for the day.  I was VERY temped, but when I looked in the mirror there were no grey hairs yet.  Haha sorry boys I gotta make a little fun when I can here.

Alright well I also threw a couple more pictures on here from our safaris and what not.  I just got them from Andrew and Kristy.
Enjoy.


One Wildebeast patty one beef patty.  They know how to make a burger!







Here's our rental car

Here's me getting ready

Oh crap!      Stretch Armstrong

This is way across the lake zoomed in on me

No I don't run into the mountain, it turns way before that


The wakeboarding lake is in behind and down about 40ft


Here us on the 4am morning safari


Grill'n up some Wildebeast steaks

Those kababs have Kudu, Springbok, Wildebeast, and Eland on them

Poor picture of the lion cubs, very cute though.  Mama was at our left rear tire.

It's not every day you can kiss a giraffe

Oh ya and a flat tire in the middle of the park!


We had that bugger changed in about 4 mins flat....pardon the pun.

Vineyard 

Mama Africa restaurant and dance party.  Kristy on the Xylophone

Captain quickly fixing the buoy.  That was a little guy though only about 6ft

Arrival back at port

Heading back to Kuwait...."First Class" on Ethiopian Airlines.  Sip'n on Bailey's and munch'n on Tenderloins.  Best flight I have ever been on.

No comments: